Cracked walls can be a common issue in homes, and if left untreated, they can lead to bigger problems such as water damage and structural damage. Therefore, it’s important to deal with cracked walls as soon as possible to prevent further damage. In this article, we’ll explore how to deal with cracked house walls with the best repair services.
Identifying Cracks in House Walls
Types of Cracks in House Walls
When it comes to cracked walls, it’s important to know the different types of cracks to determine the best repair method. Some common types of cracks in house walls include:
- Hairline cracks: These are thin and small cracks that are usually caused by the settling of the house.
- Vertical cracks: These are cracks that run up and down the wall and are usually caused by a shifting foundation.
- Diagonal cracks: These are cracks that run diagonally and are usually caused by the pressure of soil against the foundation.
- Horizontal cracks: These are cracks that run horizontally and are usually caused by water damage or a bowing foundation.
Signs of Cracks in House Walls
Cracks in house walls can be difficult to spot, especially if they are small. However, some signs to look out for include:
- Peeling or bubbling paint
- Uneven walls
- Doors or windows that are difficult to open or close
- Cracks in the ceiling
- Cracks around door frames or windowsills
Repairing Cracked House Walls
If the cracks in your house walls are small and not causing any major issues, you can attempt to repair them yourself. Here are some steps to follow:
- Clean the area around the crack with a wire brush and vacuum up any dust or debris.
- Fill the crack with spackling or joint compound using a putty knife and smooth it out.
- Sand the area once the compound has dried and apply a second coat if necessary.
- Paint over the repaired area to match the surrounding wall.
Professional Repair Services
If the cracks in your house walls are large or causing major issues, it’s best to seek professional repair services. Here are some common repair methods used by professionals:
- Injection of epoxy or polyurethane foam to fill and stabilize the crack.
- Carbon fiber reinforcement strips to reinforce the wall and prevent further cracking.
- Excavation and waterproofing of the foundation to prevent water damage.
Home Improvement Services
To prevent cracked walls from occurring in the first place, there are some preventative measures you can take. These include:
- Regularly inspecting the foundation and walls for any signs of cracking or shifting.
- Fixing any leaks or water damage immediately to prevent further damage.
- Ensuring proper drainage around the foundation to prevent water from accumulating and causing pressure against the foundation.
Value of Home Improvement Services
Investing in home improvement services such as foundation repair or waterproofing can not only prevent cracked walls, but also increase the value of your home. These services can improve the overall stability and safety of your home, making it a more desirable and valuable property.
In conclusion, dealing with cracked house walls is an important part of home maintenance. By identifying the types and signs of cracks, choosing the right repair method, and investing in home improvement services, you can ensure the stability and safety of your home for years to come.